Young People's Concerts
sheena mccall YOUNG PEOPLE'S CONCERTS for 2016: The KSO Kids' Guide to the Orchestra!
- Imaginative programming created for students in third through fifth grades
- Presented for 12,000 students annually in two venues
- One-hour concerts with music and stories selected for younger ears
- Narration and exciting visual elements such as video projections, props, special lighting, costumes and peer guest artists
- Audience participation:
- Highlight: Benjamin Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra
- Teacher's Guide and CD of excerpts provided by the KSO for advance student preparation
Two venues to see this show:
Knoxville Civic Auditorium - Click here to make a reservation!
Wednesday, October 26, 2016, at 9:30 a.m. (Sold Out!)
Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 9:30 (Sold Out!)
Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 10:45 a.m. (Seats still available!)
Friday, October 28, 2015, at 9:30 a.m. (Sold Out!)
Tickets are $6 each, with one adult free for every 10 paying students. Groups of less than 50 will be asked to pay when your reservation is confirmed.
Niswonger Performing Arts Center, Greeneville - Click here to make a reservation!
Thursday, November 3, 2016, at 9:30 (Sold Out!) and 11:00 a.m. (Sold Out!)
This concert is free for students and teachers in Northeast Tennessee, thanks to the generous support of the Niswonger Foundation. Please note that the Greeneville Young People's Concerts are available only to students who attend public schools in the following seventeen school districts: Bristol, Elizabethton, Greeneville, Johnson City, Kingsport, Carter County, Cocke County, Greene County, Hamblen County, Hancock County, Hawkins County, Jefferson County, Johnson County, Sevier County, Sullivan County, Unicoi County, and Washington County.
STUDENT TICKET SUBSIDY funding
Young People’s Concerts are eligible for the Student Ticket Subsidy (STS) Program: Student Ticket Subsidy funds artist fees, tickets and transportation costs for students from Tennessee public schools. Students will experience a broad variety of cultural opportunities, arts disciplines and artists during field trips or with in-school teaching artists. For more information, visit the Tennessee Arts Commission website.
- Schools can request up to $3,000
- Awarded per capita and by demand on a first-come, first served basis
- Applications must be received 30 days prior to concert date
- NEW! Payments made directly to schools from the TN Arts Commission
Please note that the eGrant application for Student Ticket Subsidy opens August 11 at 9:00 a.m. Funds for Knox County are usually depleted within a few days.
Meet the musicians PROGRAM
- For Knox County Music Educators who have reservations to attend a Young People's Concert with their students
- Two KSO musicians visit your classroom prior to the concert
- Introduction of the musicians' instruments and musical backgrounds
- Short performance
- Q & A time for your students to interact with the musicians
To sign up for the Meet the Musicians Program - click here!
- Sheena McCall
- Niswonger Foundation
- Knoxville Symphony League
- Tennessee Arts Commission
- City of Knoxville
- Knox County
- Rotary Club of Knoxville
- Akima Club
- Turkey Creek Land Partners
- Connor Concepts
- Emmett Vaughn Lumber Company
- Parker Business Consulting & Accounting
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR PARTNERS IN EDUCATION
- Knox County Schools
- Knox County Schools' Board of Education
- Andy Adzima, Inskip Elementary, Education Advisory Council
- Sheree Beeler, Shannondale Elementary, Education Advisory Council
- Liz Britt, Webb School, Education Advisory Council
- Sarah Cummings, Rocky Hill Elementary, Education Advisory Council
- Allison Hendrix, Northshore Elementary, Education Advisory Council
- Kristin Luttrell, Gibbs Elementary, Education Advisory Council
- LeeAnn Parker, Bearden Elementary, Education Advisory Council
- Mary Beth Townsend, Sacred Heart Cathedral School, Education Advisory Council
- Tracy Ward, Sequoyah Elementary, Education Advisory Council
Resources to download
- Teacher's Guide - Flip Chart available for ActivBoard users on Knox County School's exchange page or by request.
- Knox County Risk Assessment Form
- Bulletin Board Mystery Song
- Percussion Matching Game
- Complete Vocabulary and Glossary
- Classics for Kids
Hear Classics for Kids on WUOT 91.9 FM on Saturdays at 7:53 AM and Mondays at 3:00 PM
- Meet The Knoxville Symphony Orchestra
- A Brief History of the KSO