Very Young People's Concerts
Let's tell a story!
- Created for students in pre-school through second grade
- Explores how music can tell a story, with help from animated character, Picardy Penguin
- Demonstrates how music can emphasize story elements or help define characters
- Audience participation: singing the concert theme song Music Can Make Your Life Complete
- Two pieces, The Birthday Present and Playground Escapades, explore the development of story line and plot
- Highlight: Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf, narrated by Picardy Penguin and intrepreted by Go Contemporary Dance Works (note: this work is in the curriculum for many first and second graders)
- Other repertoire: Blow the Man Down (Traditional Sea Shanty), Flight of the Bumblebee (Rimsky-Korsakov), Overture to The Marriage of Figaro (Mozart)
Two Opportunities to See this show:
Tennessee Theatre - Click here to reserve your seats!
Thursday, January 28, 2016, at 9:30 a.m. - SOLD OUT! & 11:00 a.m. - Tickets are $8 each, with one adult free for every 10 paying students
Clayton Center for the Arts - Click here to reserve your seats!
Friday, January 29, 2016, at 9:30 a.m. (only 98 seats remaining) - Tickets are $6 each, with one adult free for every 10 paying students
For more information about the Very Young People's Concerts, please contact the Director of Education & Community Partnerships or call one of the reservation voice mail lines below:
- Tennessee Theatre Concert: (865) 521-2322
- Clayton Center for the Arts Concert: (865) 521-2323
Resources to DOWNLOAD
STUDENT TICKET SUBSIDY Funding
Very Young People’s Concerts are eligible for the Student Ticket Subsidy (STS) Program: Student Ticket Subsidy funds artist fees, tickets and transportation consts for students from Tennessee Public schools. Students will experience a broad variety of cultural opportunities, arts disciplines and artists during field trips or with in-school teaching artists. For more information, visit the Tennessee Arts Commission website.
- Schools can request up to $3,000
- Awarded per capita and by demand on a first-com, first-served basis
Please note that the eGrant application for Student Ticket Subsidy opens August 4, 9:00 a.m. Grants from this fund are usually depleted within a few days of the submission date.
The Very Young People's Concerts are presented with support from the Lura-Lee G. and William E. Lange Foundation.